Wednesday, January 12, 2011

January Parent Update

January Parent Update

I wanted to take advantage of this snow day to touch base with the parents of my wonderful Fourth Graders! 
 
This month we are working very hard on multiplication and division. I am STRONGLY encouraging my students to practice their multiplication facts every night.  We will be moving on to double digit multiplication and long division in the near future. It will come so much easier if we can “nail down” our basic facts! I have given the kids blank and competed multiplication fact charts, a multiplication facts booklet, multiple website suggestions as well as printable flash cards. You can find the flash cards on my blog under Education Links.  I also have other great websites to practice Math on my blog! We have increased the amount of times per week that we take our multiplication time test in our classroom in order to stimulate practice.  If the kids do not pass the time test, they are to complete the top portion as homework and return it the following day. Please take the time to practice with your child. It will make a world of difference.
   This month we are learning about The Civil War in Social Studies, matter in Science, personal and fictional narratives in Writing and we are starting our Fantasy genre in Reading. We will be focusing on main idea versus details next week as we begin our new reading books! I have two groups reading The Littles, two groups reading Bunnicula and one group reading The BFG! All of them are great books tailored to fit each child’s needs at the moment.    

On a special note: 
 -This trimester, we are using points in Accelerated Reader (AR). Each child has his or her own goal ranging from 18-22. I had all of the children create their own goal as well. I have some kids trying to reach 40 points! Way to go!
-We have a short quiz on multiplication and division next Tuesday the 18th


Contact me with ANY questions or concerns! You can also contact me for an update on the progress of your child. I would be happy to meet with you!

Have a fabulous day!

Mrs. Seegert
850-6744
 


The kids loved having The Elves visit our classroom  in December;) haha! So cute!

3 comments:

  1. I love seeing the kids' comments on the different topics ... and the main pic on the blog is great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I wish more parents looked at it because I think they would really like it too!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed looking at this very much! J.P.

    ReplyDelete